What Needs to Be Done If Your Car Is Damaged by Bad Weather

The United States has had its problems with bad weather and fire this year. If you watched any of the television coverage during the hurricanes, you will remember the 100s of cars were filmed under water. Some were safely parked in their apartment garages and, yet the flooding was so bad, you just could not save your car from being totally damaged from the flood waters, winds or having very large trees fall on them.

Older cars

There were so many other things that needed to be done so it might have been weeks before youwere able to file an insurance claim but there were hundreds of older cars that probably did not have only comprehensive coverage on it.

Comprehensive coverage

Those with newer cars usually have full coverage and were covered. But many people drop collision and comprehensive coverage from their car. There is a lesson to be learned here – don’t drop comprehensive coverage. Especially if you live in areas prone to:

  • High winds
  • Floods
  • Earthquakes
  • Fire areas


File claim as quickly as possible

File your claim as fast as you can as they usually get settled on a first-come, first-served basis. This is extremely important when there has been a widespread disaster like a hurricane. Insurers often are quickly overwhelmed with claims. And if you don’t have comprehensive coverage, make a point to check on your renter’s or homeowner’s policy. In some cases, they may cover damage disasters-related to your car.

Document your case

If you are safe, grab the camera or cell phone and take photos of the damage from many different angles. Also pictures from inside the car if it was flooded, as well as trunk and engine bay. Get the pictures of exactly how the car was found – don’t clean it up. Take shots from different angles as well as pictures from inside the car. This clear evidence will help your insurance company to understand the extent of the damage.

All of this is important so that your agency will give you a reasonable settlement. If you have documented the damage but you are not getting a settlement that seems fair, then stand your ground. If you can’t get what is fair, then complain to the agent’s supervisor or the manager of the local office

Post Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *